Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Finishing the launder end

Forgot the camera this week.

However, last week Ray and Richard had completed the side cheeks for the launder end, and removed one of the boards for modification, as it was catching on the wheel. This week we planed a bit off, replaced it and attached a chain to support the new launder extension. When we opened the sluice and ran the wheel we found that part of the launder end structure was rubbing on the mill-side wheel shroud; we either need to tighten the chain or remove yet another bit, possibly from the angle-iron frame this time.

The wheel has a lot of very leaky buckets and, in spite of our efforts to repair them, the water was pouring through in places. A wheel board refurbishment will become essential in the not-too-distant furure.

The headrace was full of quite large chunks of tree after the gales we have had lately - we certainly need a leat-clearing day, preferably with help from the gardeners and rangers.

We also had a meeting with Sara to agree a plan for getting local authority approval for milling.

No comments:

Post a comment