When we tried to run the wheel last week, we found water was pouring through in several places. Unfortunately the oak bucket and lining boards rot from their edges, resulting in large gaps. They also rot around the fixing bolts, so we had to re-attach several boards - this always means cutting the old bolts out. We have cut up a sheet of plywood to make a number of 4 inch wide "plates" to patch the gaps in the lining, but we have become aware that we will need to virtually rebuild the wheel in the near future.
We just needed another job
We also lifted the No 2 runner stone and brushed and hoovered out all the grain and flour left from the last milling. We were then able to reassemble the tun, which will keep things clean.